EDGE CUTTER

Many firms produced edge cutters to replace shears for trimming lawn edges. Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies patented such a machine in the 1880s. This utilised a ribbed land roll which drove, on its right-hand side, a four-bladed cutter moving in the vertical plane. This machine won a silver medal at the Inventions Exhibition of 1885. At that time the edge cutter sold for 35/-d. An up-dated version of this with a five-bladed cutter and smooth roller was still being offered in the firm's 1915 catalogue. This later model was also made by Lloyds of Letchworth, presumably under licence from Ransomes.