A building contractor who turned to mower production in 1947 at Spellbrook on the Herts/Essex border. The first mower from his company was the Hayter Motor Scythe which was a rotary machine but the firm also produced mowers with interchangeable cylinder/rotary units. From 1957 Hayters entered the domestic market with the "Hayterette". Various engines were used by the firm, including Villiers, Briggs & Stratton, Kohler & J.L.O. Many of their machines had bird names (eg "Condor", "Osprey" etc). The company was acquired by J.H. Tomkins in the early 1980s and Beaver Equipment Ltd. was acquired by the new company in 1987.