Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

My first restoration - 2005 Atco Royale 20" - clutch question

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hello there! 

First of all, thanks for providing this super-useful resource.

I've got very fond memories of following what I'm 99% sure was an Atco Royale around my Grandfather's garden and have now moved into a home with a garden just about big enough to justify having one of my own. I've got hold of a 2005 20" model which needed a bit of love and am now in the process of restoring it. It's been fairly straightforward to dismantle so far, but the one part that I'm stuck with is the clutch. One of the plates is broken so I need to get it apart to fit the replacement. By un-bolting the engine I've been able to get it to the point shown in the picture, but I'm a bit stumped with the pin holding the square block to the driveshaft. Should this just drift out with a bit of encouragement from a hammer? I've had a gentle go so far and haven't got it to move and was reluctant to whack it harder in case I bend the drive shaft. Any tips?

Thanks in advance - probably lots more questions to follow!! 

Cheers

Brett

Forums

wristpin Sun, 21/06/2020

No image but I know where you are. Yes, drive the pin out with a punch, BUT support the shaft at the engine end while you are doing it. This avoids sending shock loads through the top bearing etc. If you can’t arrange a support , enlist a helper  to hold something with a greater mass than the driving hammer  under the shaft.  If you have a club hammer,hold that under the shaft and use  the next size down to drive the pin out.

That design of clutch has been around for many years but probably in the 1970s the diameter of the pin was increased so be aware of that if you need to replace it. The original pin was F016L13779 and the later 6mm one F016L16272.

This may be of use. Not for a 20" machine but for your bits, plates etc , the same

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iazni1v28ogdeq/Atco%20B30%20and%20Royale%20M…

NewburyAtco Mon, 22/06/2020

Super, thank you! That worked - I made a support by drilling a 16mm hole through a scrap bit of wood and was able to give the pin a bit more welly to get it out (picture attached for future reference). I've now replaced the plate and put it back together. 

Cheers