Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Yamaha YLM453

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hi and thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

My cricket club has one of these mowers, but I have been told that it doesn't work.  I was wondering if anybody has a copy of the owner and/or servicing manual because to be honest I haven't a clue what I am looking at and would like to check that we are doing the basics properly, such as trying to start it correctly, before I take it to a mechanic and cost the club money.

Forums

wristpin Wed, 22/05/2019

MNo one in the club who’ s into old motor bikes?

It will have electronic ignition so no corroded points to worry about so I would start by draining any fuel that is left in the tank and carburettor ( which may have a drain screw in the bowl) , checking the oil level and seeing if it will start on new fuel. You could try a new plug for good measure! 

We attempted to sell Yamaha mowers at one time but gave up due to poor public acceptance of an unfamiliar mower brand and dismal backup from the importer/distributor. Unfortunately when I retired I gave away all my parts books and workshop manuals. I know who had them but I suspect tha they’ve been dumped - but I will ask.

gtc Wed, 22/05/2019

before I take it to a mechanic and cost the club money.

Given the Yamaha's rarity and lack of support (per Wristpin's comment), investing in a new mower is probably better use of club funds.

BubbleBlower Thu, 23/05/2019

I was thinking that it shouldn't cost much for a mechanic to give us a quote

BubbleBlower Thu, 23/05/2019

That would be great, thanks, Wristpin.

Changing the plug and putting new fuel in was my first thoughts, as it has sat for at least two years. When I was talking about 'doing the basics properly, such as trying to start it correctly' I was thinking that there are several controls and levers on the handle and maybe they need to be set in certain positions before the mower will start.  There is also a tap on the side of the engine, which I presume is for the fuel.

wristpin Thu, 23/05/2019

Surely you have a club member with a walk behind rotary mower. The controls will be similar. Look for the one with a tortoise and a hare and maybe two parallel lines with an angled one between them - the choke position for cold starting. Are you sure that you should be let loose with such a high tech bit of grass cutting apparatus ?

hillsider Thu, 23/05/2019

Without wishing to put a dampener on your enthusiasm to save your cricket club money the machine you have could easily cost far more than it is worth to return it to service especially if you do enlist the services of a professional repairer and from your questioning it would seem that you could struggle to resolve / recognise any problems that may arise on the mower.

It is very good of you to have the Clubs finances in mind but please be aware that even when used by volunteers the Cricket Club has a duty of care to provide machines that are both fit for purpose and are safe to use. And any repairs carried out by you would need to be assessed with this in mind as responsibilty could fall at your feet in the event of an accident.