A manual sidewheel mower introduced in 1932 and continued post-war. This utilised thin steel blades which lay horizontally (rather than vertically) on the cutting cylinder and which acted against a flexible shear-blade. One 18 inch example bears the serial no. Z18533. Originally marketed by John Hansen F.R.H.S., Astor House, Aldwych, London, the company under the name of The Flexa Lawn Mower Co. Ltd. was based at Onslow Hall House, Guildford Road, Woking and was a subsidiary of Christian Hansen. In 1939 the "Flexa" was being sold in 12, 14, 16 & 18 inch sizes at prices ranging from £3.15.0d to £4.10.0d. The colour scheme was gilt with bright stainless steel blades. At that time a canvas grass collector was offered, although some models were sold with an aluminium grass box with wooden sides from the back of which a chain connected with the wooden 'T' handle. The Company were also the makers of the interesting "Astor Grass Clipper" a hand-operated reciprocating-knife lawn edger c1950., which had its origins in the "Crab" hedge clipper marketed by John Hansen in the 1920s. By the 1980s "Flexa" mowers were being made for the Wilkinson Sword Co.