Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Clutch removal on a Ransome Minor 1954

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Hopefully someone can help?

I am new to all this so learning as I go. I am renovating a 1954 Ransome Minor as its a not starter.

I have replaced the coil so now have good spark but it looks like the crank bearing are badly worn.

The issue I have is removing the centrifugal clutch from the engine so I can change.

Can any body give me some help on removing the clutch?

Forums

wristpin Thu, 23/06/2016

Welcome.

The clutch back plate (cast iron lump with the shoes pivoting on it) is a taper fit on the end of the crank held on with a large nut hidden behind the spigots bearing - or not hidden if, when you removed the engine the bearing came away with the clutch shaft. The accepted way to get the back plate off is to slacken the nut a turn or so, then support the back plate and hit its boss hard with a big drift and lump hammer (safety glasses)

If the bearing is still in place you will need to devise a way of getting it out or beg, borrow or buy a suitable extractor.

Tools for the job. Safety glasses, mini anvil to support the back plate -or  suitable lump of iron. May be a hard wood block but wood tends to absorb the shock needed to dislodge the back plate. Suitable drift, bearing extractor and lump hammer. Suitable socket to slacken the nut (not illustrated)

Back plate supported.

Drift positioned on back plate boss.