Hayter Ambassador 2 rear roller

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jon
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 17 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2014 - 00:03
Hayter Ambassador 2 rear roller

I have recently acquired​ a Hayter Ambassador 2 with a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine. It has a lever clutch for the drive and also a lever for the cutting cylinder both on the handle bars. It was a non runner when purchased but now it runs well without having to spend any money. The carburettor and fuel tank needed cleaning and the points and spark plug needed setting. I have today cut the lawn with it for the first time and after getting the cut height adjusted did an excellent job.

My only concern is I noticed that only the right hand side rear roller (standing behind the mower) is supplying the drive which results in the mower loosing traction  and wheel spinning in the same spot until I give it a helping hand. Should both rear rollers supply drive? And if so can this be fixed! Or is it doomed and I have purchased a clanger!

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

wristpin
wristpin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 44 sec ago
Joined: 23/05/2012 - 22:09
It should drive on both but

It should drive on both but it is not necessarily a disaster.  If you are lucky the problem is only a seized ratchet pawl in the roller but slightly more serious is a broken ratchet spring - serious to the extent of availability , unless you can make one .From the attached parts illustration and list you will see that the springs are "handed".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cb4loh3g0j2yka/Hayter%20Ambassador0001.pdf?dl=0

 

Jon
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 17 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2014 - 00:03
 Thanks for the advice, Its

 Thanks for the advice, Its now fixed. Removed rear roller and dismantled. There was a stuck pawl and worse a broken spring. I happened to have an 8" length of spring wire so I made a new one by bending with pliers to make the 90 degree angles and used a piece of narrow tube held in a vice as a mandrel to bend the wire round to make the coil. We'll all this worked and they both now work well. The hardest part was reassembling and attaching the clutch spring back on. It gave a good fight. I then went try it out and the clutch cable broke at the lever end as the nobble parted company. I can fix that tomorrow.