12" Qualcast Concorde
My old friend Terry asked me if I still repaired mowers and could I take a look at his.
I agreed, just to help out a friend in need, I'm sure he'd get short shrift at our local repair place if he'd tried.
Despite the "De Luxe" designation, I soon wondered why he hadn't binned it years before.
I fitted my last new bottom blade to such a machine at least a decade ago, so I could only file the old one up to square it.
A lot of movement in the cylinder as I moved the machine around turned out to be a very well worn out spherical cylinder support bush, someone else had welded blobs around the bush on the side plate to help support it, I ask you...
I went through my small amount of Atco/Qualcast/Webb/Bosch parts and felt very lucky to find a new bush, plus rivets, and felt seal and black spring packing ring in the same kit. I had to half strip the machine out to remove and clean up the cylinder, I used a clip on ally moulding with some ally oxide grit paper glued on to grind the cylinder to the bottom blade.
I was eventually able to get it cutting thickish paper all the way along, but grinding took over an hour.
Terry's back 'lawn' is only ten feet square or a bit less, he loves to see his stripes, so I can see no other alternative to the concord for price or convenience, he won't be needing it for a while yet though!
Incidentally, a local lawn mower business packed up about 2012, I bought many wooden boxes of assorted parts there, amongst my finds were about eight 'bolt on' type grass edging attachments for concord type machines, I eventually took them all to the recycle, never sold a one, what grieved me a bit was to see all the original packing and boxes going into the skip...what a shame, same experience with six brand new Mountfield plastic rear rollers, for 16" machines.
I went through my small amount of Atco/Qualcast/Webb/Bosch parts and felt very lucky to find a new bush, plus rivets, and felt seal and black spring packing ring in the same kit.
Just in case there’s another Terry out there, I have two acquired with a job lot of 15 mowers and a “ mountain” of obsolete parts .
Hello Wristpin, I drilled out the old rivets and put four new ones in, but then found one was in the way of height adjuster screw, so had to drill it out again, maybe I was a bit too presumptuous maybe only the wasted sticking out bit needed to go.
I got more than my share of electrics to repair, as most of the bigger concerns just would not bother to fit a new blade even. "Overheads" were often quoted.
Just waiting for lockdown to finish now.