Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Atco 1455/6 Rear Roller

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Have just started to restore this machine and stripped it down today, I have a couple of questions. Before stripping it I noticed that the rear roller is two piece does this roller come apart? It is the steel roller and the join is quite tight but I also have another Atco (5 in total) that has a 2 piece aluminium roller which has quite a large gap and is all loose therefore I thought that there must be some way the roller can be dismantled.

The other question I have is to do with the axle shaft of the front wooden rollers, this shaft is quite worn and has the appearance of brass but is magnetic, so the question is what metal is the shaft made of? I do have to make some new rollers therefore I could clean up the wear in the shaft in the lathe and make the rollers to suit, whilst I realise this makes for a slightly weaker shaft the mower will never be used in anger, my restorations are only for display, even though they could be used as I recondition all parts including the engines.

My rotary mowers have no blades fitted to their cutting discs, this removes the temptation of anyone trying to cut with any of them it is also a safety thing when at rallies and one gets started.

Regards Geoff.

Forums

hortimech Sat, 08/08/2020

Your 14 inch steel roller is probably one piece and you will not be able to strip it further, but the aluminium roller will be two separate rollers and they should ratchet to give a differential action.

No idea why the front roller shaft looks like it is made from brass, it is undoubtedly made from steel. If you have access to a lathe, it would probably be easier (and better) to make a new front roller shaft, rather than trying to true up the old one.

Have you tried to cut grass with your rotaries, even without blades they will probably cut grass (OK, chew grass ;-) ), it is the tip speed that actually cuts (somewhere in the region of 200MPH)

Geoff Beechey Sun, 09/08/2020

No I must admit I have not tried to see if the rotaries will cut/mulch grass without blades, would just make a mess of my nice clean cutting disc and underside of the mower, we cant have that now can we LOL.

The photo shows the front roller axle beside one of the frame cross rods, as can be seen appears to be brass, even when hit with a file it has the same colour but as I said earlier it is magnetic got me tricked.

I will make up a new shaft for the rollers rather than turning this one down will save a lot of time and also be a stronger job in the end, you never know when I turn up my toes would not like someone to get a mower with a weak front roller axle.

Geoff

Messorestore Sun, 09/08/2020

Hi, whilst not an expert  I must agree the steel roller will not separate but the aluminium one will. 

Geoff Beechey Mon, 10/08/2020

Spent the day cleaning the parts of the mower including sanding the rear roller, that was one heck of a job but pleased with the result, I have treated the roller with a phosphoric acid solution to neutralize any spots of rust that are left.

The cutting cylinder, the bottom blade, grass deflector and a number of small parts are all in the molasses bath to remove the rust which will probably take a couple of days, the cylinder had been in for 2 days and am quite happy with the result of that.

The attached photos are of the rear roller, carby, cylinder etc and the other is of the drive train parts am quite happy with the lack of wear in the sprockets and chains.

Question time, are the corks for the clutch available to buy or do we have to make our own?

Geoff.

Geoff Beechey Thu, 13/08/2020

Further to my post on the 9/8/20 re the brass front roller axle that is magnetic brass, well I have to report it is brass and a magnet will adhere to it, but I have to admit to me being a bit dumb.

What it actually is,, is the brass bearings out of the rollers stuck to the steel axle, the rollers have been turning on the brass bearings wearing the outer of the bearings, so the magnetic properties are actually caused by the inner steel shaft, I suppose there is a silver lining here I don't have to remake a new roller axle just get some new bearings to fit the new rollers that I will make.

Geoff.

Geoff Beechey Mon, 17/08/2020

A bit more progress today, stripped and sanded the side plates ready for undercoat, came up quite well interesting the difference in the steel.

Also repaired the wear in the clutch housing got rid of the wear caused by the clutch plate wearing into the housing, welded up and turned down the welds, very happy with it I have made the slots a little smaller to suit the clutch plate is now a neat fit.

I have also stripped the engine and cleaned up ready for reassembly, I have checked the ring gap with the rings that are in this motor so will leave them in, am just waiting for my honing tool to arrive so I can give the bore a hone.

Geoff.

villiers98 Fri, 21/08/2020

I was going to say thats the brass bush out of the rollers which runs on the steel spindle. . . . .

The split aluminium rear roller goes with the other quality touches for what was a deluxe version which seems to have been made at the same time *. Bigger fuel tank , microset adjustment of bottom blade to cylinder, ' lo-tone ' cylinder shaped silencer or pepperpot with outlet facing forwards, metal cone clutch etc

* I think there may have been a touch of 'Triggers broom' after 60 plus years of service and overhauls

Still can turn out a decent finish on a good lawn though