Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

1965 Hayter Hayterette Throttle Control

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

I'm trying to source a throttle control for my '65 Hayterette,  it's the white plastic type also found on the early Harriers, 21's and Ospreys but they seem rather illusive so much so I even tried to buy a '66 model just for the throttle.

Plastic control

Ebay has had nothing like it for months. 

The exhaust bugs me too but as its a disguised replacement from 1980 I can live with that. 

'65 Hayterette

Forums

wristpin Wed, 09/08/2023

I expect that you’ve asked Jon Cruse at Hailshsm,  it if not it’s worth an ask. We used to have bunches of that pattern  - aftermarket ones . Perhaps they are still to be had , and you could get someone to inscribe it ?

Herby Wed, 09/08/2023

Thank you kind sir, I have emailed the mower centre, hopefully they have one or at least a pattern part.

Mowing Wurzel Fri, 11/08/2023

Usually with these throttle controls, when the cable rusts up / seizes in the sleeve, the cable pops out of the plastic control body as only secured by the fixing down set screw, you should get a cable or get one made up.

One bodge I have done in the past  is to fit a jubilee clip to the bowden cable around the handle tube to stop the cable outer sheaf pulling out from the plastic throttle control body; naturally this is a compromise for the purist.