Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

Folbate M2 - need parts

Am cleaning out mom's house as we have to sell it, and found an old push mower.  Its a Folbate M2, with plastic rollers.  I think it came from her parents house.  Its a bit banged up, but seems to work Ok.  Like a dummy I was messing with it an snapped off one of the bolts that adjusts the cutter bar.  Its a wierd looking thing with an odd, almost rectangular head, kind of like a rivet.  Is there a source for that part?  And I could use a plastic spacer on the roller, one end was loose and apparently the spacer fell off at some point.

I can probably make a bolt if need be using my angle grinder.  What the heck is this thing worth, if anything?



Tim (first time poster)



Clive1997 Tue, 19/05/2020

Hello Tim

Welcome to the forum, not that familiar with the Folbate M2, we usually see the J1 1950's & J2 1960's in 10 & 12in over here, but I am aware Folbate did have a range of side wheel (Reel) mowers being retailed in the USA during the early 1950's, these being a larger size 14n &16in with rubber tyres, I assume these may well have been specifically made for export to the US, I know out there you like the larger cutting widths.

As to value, over here i find it hard to get £10 for a nice working J1 or J2 & often end up giving them away, so no significant value, the same may apply to the M2 in your location, perhaps if we do have a keen Folbate collector in the UK they would be willing to pay a little bit more if it was an export only model? but its the wrong side of the pond! 

Anyone else come across an M2?

Hope that helps in your decision to spend time on the mower or not. 

Keith Wootton Tue, 19/05/2020

Do you mean like this? These are set/machine screws with a square head. Readily available.

Or like this? This is a coach bolt. Also readily available.


With either, the trick will be finding the right size in Imperial thread, likely BSW/Whitworth.

Incidentally, I believe the M2 was the updated/export version of the J2. We have a parts list/instruction manual for that one listed on our site.

hortimech Tue, 19/05/2020

Sorry, but the correct name for the latter is cup square screw, as for finding the correct thread, this shouldn't be a problem. at  1/4 or 5/16, the difference between UNC and BSW is minimal.

Keith Wootton Tue, 19/05/2020

Maybe so, but almost all suppliers call them (or also call them) "coach bolts". Agree about threads.

Tim in New York Tue, 19/05/2020

No, not a carriage bolt head.  I will get a picture and post it.  Very odd shaped head, think rectangular, and tapering down to a small lip on the ends.

Tim in New York Tue, 19/05/2020

Here are a couple if pics of the bolt I sheared off.  It takes a 14mm nut on the other end.  Never seen a head like this.




Keith Wootton Tue, 19/05/2020



Folbate referred to these as the T-Head adjusting bolt - see the link below to another one of their operating manuals, where there is one listed (part S-50). The design is such that the head slots into (or between) something to prevent is turning as you tighten or loosen the nut.

A quick Internet search shows such things are available but in my experience relatively few suppliers will sell one on its own. Your best option might be to start with a hex-head bolt or machine screw with the correct thread and modify accordingly. Shouldn't take too long.

Tim in New York Tue, 19/05/2020

Thanks Keith.  I think my angle grinder might be able to do it.  Or I might take it to my welder and see if he can just braze a new stud on the head.  He humors me with these odd little jobs.