Skip to main content
Collection, Preservation and Display of Old Lawn Mowers

tecumseh van 148 (Lav30) govenor lever question

Enter a word or two to search the forum section and click the Search Forum button.

Is anybody familiar with this motor?

This old motor maybe from the 70's was surging so I exchanged the carb for a new after market one which seemed to work fine until I refuelled it and then it would not start or if it did it only turned over twice. There is a good spark and compression seems fine.I tried fresh fuel as well. I suspected the carb as it was a cheap part and could have failed but when I removed it I noticed that the govenor lever was ccw, is it meant to be that way on this model? it does not move when starting.

Prior to the not starting issue the motor did not have a run away problem as if it had a faulty governor.

The reason I ask is that I saw this website about govenor failure

https://www.nettally.com/palmk/Tecumseh%20Governor%20Failure.html

It is a different engine though but same make, I don't want to disassemble the motor if the lever is as it should be and the fault lies else where

Forums

trunnions Tue, 26/07/2022

Thank you

The carb is working but high RPM

I think the governor assembly may be broken

wristpin Tue, 26/07/2022

Is the engine screaming or just not going back to idle when you close the throttle? Before you tear it apart, just check that a previous owner hasn’t mis assembled the exterior linkage. There are quite precise instructions for aligning the linkage by passing a thin punch or similar through holes in parts of the linkage before tightening them up.If you do decide to take the base off the crankcase, removing the blade boss may be a bit of a struggle. You then need to pull out the oil seal and clean all of the rust and corrosion off the crank  using fine emery tape and careful cleaning, followed by a squirt of oil as you draw the lower case off - don’t drag it over rust and corrosion or the product of cleaning that off.. once in there you may find the Governor arm has fractured or centrifugal flyweights etc have come adrift.