Hello all and thank-you for allowing me to join.
I have found a Webb 14" cylinder mower and started strip and rebuild on Saturday.
The Briggs & Stratton engine indicates it was manufactured Dec 1966. No spark - no surprise the mower looks as if it's been sitting in the long grass for 10 yrs ! Air filter was rotten and fuel tank full of rust. None the less after cleaning spark plug cable connection and spinning it over using my domestic drill I got one spark, and one spark only.
Stripped down to points and after some very casual rubbing with sandpaper, I spun her up again and got weak but consistent sparking.
More conscientious attention to points and a new plug got good spark, so added some clean fuel and again spinning her using my drill got a very poor and rough runner.
Whilst still running I sprayed some Penetrating fluid into the carb ( no filter ) wow, the engine screamed at crazy rpm. So now I know it's a runner I have stripped completely and am cleaning / restoring / repainting.
5 issues tho;
1. I have no idea of model and have not located anything on the mower other than the engine manufacturers marks
2. Blade cylinder bearings are pretty rotten and I have no idea where to start removal / source new.
3. Will need a new drive belt but no idea what I am looking for.
4. Exhaust / muffler threaded part just not coming out, I managed to free off the clamping ring and have read that applying heat is a no no, lots of pen oil , drilled a hole and using a bolt to try to unscrew but no luck so far.
5. need new front rollers.
worst of all I didn't think to take any photos, sorry readers my bad ....